Sunday, February 13, 2011


Creative thinking is not easy. Something that I have been wondering about is if you can think more creatively in groups or alone. In an article I read the other day it talked about a research team from a university found that you are more creative when you are by yourself. The example they provided was they showed the subjects a can of soda and asked them to come up with alternative names. The group came up with less creative names than individuals did so they claimed we are more creative alone. The article didn't say if they had other data supporting their conclusion but I really hope they didn't base their study on this one experiment.
For me I can come up with creative ideas by myself. They may or may not be good ideas. But when I am in a group I find that we are able to bounce ideas off of each other and we are able to combine the near brilliant ideas. Sometimes it helps to think alone and other times it is a bonus to have others there to criticize or improve your idea.
Tyson McLaws

No comments:

Post a Comment