Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unethical

While writing my response to Inside Job, I came across something I didn't consider before. An interesting fact that I noticed through the film, was that the Securities and Exchange Commission conducted no official investigation during this bubble explained in the film. Generally I think of people being unethical by doing unethical things, not necessarily ignoring the unethical business. When one thinks of being unethical, one tends to think of doing unethical actions, but here it is pointed out that one could be unethical simply by being blind or not looking too closely.

This is very interesting motif for me, because this crisis could be avoided somewhat by people simply being more ethical, including those who were meant to be monitoring the financial markets throughout this time frame.

The financial bubble was going to burst. The financial institutions knew this in advanced, which is why they insured their investments thoroughly. It was just a matter of who would be the failures when the market crashed, they were only interested in protecting themselves and their individual investments. This is something that I can apply to my life, in respect to not simply turning my head to ignore the unethical decisions of those around me.

Hannah Heninger

No comments:

Post a Comment