Sunday, April 17, 2011

Importance of Entrepreneurship

I really appreciated Dave Clark coming in to speak with our class. He helped me realize that being an entrepreneur isn't just starting a small business with a creative idea. It's much more than that. Equally as important are the entrepreneurs that work in larger businesses. I also loved his explanation of 1.) Thinking 2.) Reasoning 3.) Acting. These words all sound easy enough. It's the implementing of these in greater depth that lead to being an entrepreneur. While they don't always lead to success that is also part of being an entrepreneur-- taking risks. One of my favorite things that he told us in class was that entrepreneurs take risks. Not being risky, but they also don't wait for success to be 100 guaranteed, or even 90 percent. Sometimes you have to trust that your hard work, diligence and passion is enough. I looked entrepreneur up in the dictionary and this is what I found: "a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk." So not only does an entrepreneur need to be willing to take needed risks, but to also have the initiative needed to run a business. Dave Clark really has made me look at all aspects of my life about where I can apply this principle of entrepreneurship and realize why it is one of the fundamentals of the Huntsman school of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment