Monday, January 31, 2011

Design

-Warning, this post contains content from a couple days from now-
I never realized how lacking my thought was in terms of "design". By "design" I of course mean the right brained, big picture, patern recognizing, gestault sense. I've been trying to apply design thinking directly, but im finding that it is more realistic to first train myself to think in a design oriented manner. The book "A whole new mind" gives methods for achieving this, like noting the design flaws or ingenuity inherent in a given object. E.g. the alarm clock sitting next to me is mostly well designed, with a large snooze button for clumsy, early morning swipes. However, the alarm settings (No alarm, alarm 1, alarm 2, alarm 1 and 2) which allow for two different programed alarms, can easily be mixed up. It takes the form of a single bar, sliding about half an inch for all four settings. Its frustrating to wake up to the wrong alarm whether its early or late, and this design flaw allows that mistake.
-If this post is missing any criteria, sorry-

No comments:

Post a Comment