Monday, January 31, 2011

Empathetic Listening

When going over this topic in class I thought, sounds simple, but after trying it out I found that this is not always the case. Over the weekend we were extended the challenge to try applying this principle of empathetic listening and then give a report on how it went.

This last weekend my friend drove up to Salt Lake and asked if I wanted to go, the drive is about an hour and a half so it was a perfect time to try out this, “listening only” idea. The conversation began with small talk as they always do with nothing to exciting to talk about. By then end of the drive however, and after plenty of time trying not to probe or relate, I found myself seeing my friend more clearly, and caring more about what he was telling me instead of trying to see if I could relate to his experiences or give advice. The principle of Listening helps build character and a desire to understand others. In short, it creates better results in conversation and strengthens relationships.

Thanks Covey!

-Brady Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment