Thursday, April 28, 2011

David Clark on Entrepreneurial Spirit

I really enjoyed listening to Mr. Clark when he came to talk to the class about Entrepreneurial Spirit. Entrepreneurship is something that I have been interested in since my senior year in high school. I really began to develop an interest in it when I took an entrepreneurship class for winter trimester at Sky View. The teacher of the class is actually only a part-time teacher who's main occupation or occupations are that of an entrepreneur. He has at least three small businesses that he is involved with in some way or another, and is one of the main pioneers in terms of starting at least two of the small businesses. This is all on top of being a part-time teacher. During his class, I remember him mentioning that one of the ways that entrepreneurs come about designing or coming up with a new product or innovation is by looking at things that cause inconveniences in everyday life, or as we have talked about in class, things that are 'broken.'

David Clark also outlined a similar philosophy to success with entrepreneurship when he said to look at things in life that cause pain. I liken this advice to the advice I had gotten from my former teacher at Sky View as well as principles we had learned in class prior to Mr. Clark coming in to speak to us. I now go around thinking about ways to improve things that cause 'pain' or 'inconveniences' in everyday life, or things that are broken. I even write down some of the ideas and I believe have a much more 'design thinking' process as a result of this class.

I am glad that I had the opportunity to listen to Mr. Clark come in and talk with our class about entrepreneurial spirit, and really allowing me to make the connections between what I had learned previously at Sky View and other things that I had learned earlier in the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment